So I have been so busy that I have hardly had time to cook (eeeekkkk) let alone blog. We've been a busy bunch the past two weeks. Apple picking, My first Tri, Matt's Cross races in the rain and a wedding last weekend. So in honor of the fleeting warmth and goodness that was the month of September I made Mango Avocado Salsa. But let's first talk about the Triathlon...
Matt and I gave up clutch Phillies/Met's tickets to stay overnight in NJ so I could be well rested the night before the big event. Well I finally had an excuse to eat Olive Garden so I was having those yummy breadsticks come hell or high water....or 45 minute wait, at 9pm. Apparently, it's the place to be. After several delicious breadsticks and a bowl full o'pasta we headed to the Holiday Inn (no, not an express) where there were TWO count them, TWO weddings going on. Seriously? Thankfully they sound proof the hell out of those rooms because by 11pm I was fast asleep. At 5am I was up and Matt and I made oatmeal using the hot water from the coffee pot - we were really roughing it.
By 5:30 we were out the door on on our way. I arrived got all situated and matt was as surprised as I was by my over all calmness. There were 75 people - plenty of people on huffy mountain bikes with kickstands. The swim was open bay and I was surprised that it was short...I swam along the outside and finished in a little over 7 minutes.
The run was the best part because I felt like I was going so slow and yet, I had the best 5K time ever. I was so happy to see Matt and the finish, I had to double check that I was indeed finished.
So I transition to the bike and that was seamless except when I got my bike stuck in the rack. Bike could have been better....in a 2 lap course with a good 6 miles straight into a nasty headwind, aero bars would have been key. Lesson learned, aero bars ordered.
So the results are in...
24th overall, 9th female, 4th age- group = 1:17
Now for the goooooood stuff
Mango Avocado Salsa
Ingredients
1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
4 medium tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t salt & Pepper
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. truvia or agave nectar
2 T fresh lime juice
1/4 C. chopped red onion
3 T olive oil
Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the mango, avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic. Stir in remaining ingredients. To blend the flavors, refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.









All good daughter, I am proud of your competitive spirt, your tenacity, but most of all your cooking. Keep up the good work. love Dad
ReplyDeleteWay to go Kate! Totally impressed. :)
ReplyDelete